One of the things that we’re excited about Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam is the food. We were so eager to taste their spring rolls, pho, fried rice, banh mi, and more but there’s this one restaurant that dares to be different from the rest. But how? Well in this restaurant, you have to eat inside their pitch black dining room.
You might be having some questions right now but let’s discuss more later. In this article, we’ll be sharing you our one-of-a-kind dining experience in NOIR. Dining in the Dark.
When we first arrived at NOIR, we were welcomed by their courteous staff members. They gave us welcome drinks, where we can choose from non-alcohol or with alcohol. After that, they explained what will happen inside the dining room.
You can choose the West or East menu (with vegetarian options), where both includes 11 meals; 4 starters, 4 main course, and 3 dessert. We availed the Dinner Set Menu from the East at a discounted rate from Klook. You can check it out here. In addition, you can also order wine and other beverages compliment your food.
After everything has been explained, another staff member brought puzzles for us to solve. The idea here is for us to familiarize ourselves in various shapes while blindfolded. This is a great practice on what we’re about to experience because inside their dining room, we will heavily rely on our sense of touch. This is essential in putting the dishes back in its wooden tray without breaking them off!
After solving the puzzle, we were escorted to the dining room. We were introduced to our guide who will assist us inside. After the dining experience, a staff member joined us at the lobby and he asked us to guess the food we ate one by one. He was holding an iPad to show us how the food looked like and everything looked great!
Menu at Noir. Dining in the Dark
To give you a glimpse on how the food looks like, here’s some of their menu from the previous years. This is from their website.
Phones, cameras, and all gadgets are not allowed inside the dining room so we were unable to take pictures of the food. The menu is a secret and will only revealed once you’re done with your food.
Our Noir. Experience
You can also watch this video about our experience here at Noir. There’s a dish that has duck as the main ingredient but we thought it was liver! The video below shows how my companions had a hard time explaining what liver is because it looks like our Vietnamese friends don’t eat liver as much as we do here in the Philippines.
At the end of the video, we also shared our insights and realizations so this would be helpful if you’re planning to visit here at Noir.
Other Important Things to Know
- Your personal belongings are not allowed inside the dining room. They’ll give you a locker where you can store your things.
- Phone, cameras, and other recording devices are not allowed inside the dining room
- You might feel claustrophobic at first but don’t panic. Your body will eventually be accustomed to your surroundings.
- If you need any help, their guides will be available to assist you
- Guests are advised to keep their voices down. They may seem to speak loud but the thing is, it’s just your sense of hearing that’s being highlighted.
- It’s better to make reservations to secure seating availability
- It’s super dark inside the dining room. You will not see anything, even your hand in front of your face.
- Their guides are blind and visually impaired
- If you have allergies, please let the staff know upon arrival. Remind your guide too to be sure.
- Noir. can do blind dates 🙂 Just let them know and they’ll give you instructions so you won’t see each other at the lobby.
Noir. Location & Contact Information
Address: 180D Hai Bà Trưng, Street, Quận 1, Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam
Operating Hours: Open everyday, 11:30am–2:30pm, 5:30–11pm (last seating at 9:30pm)
Phone Numbers: +84 28 6263 2525 and +84 9 8663 2525
Recommended Articles for Ho Chi Minh City
If you have been to Noir. recently, please share us your experience in the comments section!
*Keep in mind that we may receive commissions when you click our links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews and comparisons. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.*